- Since I am from the Sacramento Valley, it is my hope to write about, and introduce those unfamiliar with this area to the cemeteries and culture (in regards to burial traditions and gravestones) of California's "Capital Country."
- While I am interested in cemeteries and their histories, gravestones, burial traditions, etc. I still have MUCH to learn about these things, so this blog will also serve as a research journal and place for me to write about my discoveries in these areas.
My main genealogy blog is here, but from now on, anything related to cemeteries, headstones and burial practices will be solely placed on this blog.
Lastly, those interested in what the Sacramento Valley has to offer those of a Graveyard Rabbit mind set should check out these links for some basic information on the area:
- Old Sacramento City Cemetery (one of the most beautiful in the state, I think)
- The Davis Cemetery District
- Sacramento's East Lawn Memorial Parks and Mortuaries (there are several)
- Sunset Lawn Chapel of the Chimes, Sacramento
- Sacramento's Odd Fellows Cemetery
- El Dorado Co. GenWeb and links to area cemeteries
- Sacramento Co. GenWeb
- Sutter Co. GenWeb and links to area cemeteries (many of these cemeteries have been transcribed and these lists can be viewed on this site).
- Amador Co. Tombstone Transcription Project (check out the other counties too!)
- Placer Co. GenWeb
- Yolo Co. GenWeb (includes a listing of all cemeteries, past and present, in the county)
- Stone Quarries and Beyond (a wonderful resource for those interested in headstones, their histories and those who made and continue to make them. Geographically concerned with the Sacramento Valley specifically)